Quinoa offers a lot of health benefits and it is very easy to find on the grocery stores. Quinoa is gluten-free, vegan, it is high in protein and it contains all of the nine amino acids. Quinoa is one of the best plant based protein sources, making it great for vegans.
Quinoa also contains many antioxidants and it is pack of nutrients such as magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, B vitamins, fiber, phosporous and vitamin E.
There are three main types: white, red and black.
This is the nutrient content in 1 cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa (2):
- Protein: 8 grams.
- Fiber: 5 grams.
- Manganese: 58% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA).
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 28% of the RDA.
- Folate: 19% of the RDA.
- Copper: 18% of the RDA.
- Iron: 15% of the RDA.
- Zinc: 13% of the RDA.
- Potassium 9% of the RDA.
- Over 10% of the RDA for vitamins B1, B2 and B6.
- Small amounts of calcium, B3 (niacin) and vitamin E.
- This comes with a total of 222 calories, with 39 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fat. It also contains a small amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
Some of the health benefits of quinoa includes:
- Anti-flamatory, anti-viral and anti-depressant.
- Helps prevent or fight cancer.
- It can improve your metabolic health.
- It is very high on antioxidants.
- It helps to loose weight.
- Helps you stay fuller for longer.
- It helps to prevent heart disease
- Helps to keep red blood cells healthy.
Quinoa can be used in many ways, by example in salads, breakfasts, lunch and even on desserts. Here I am sharing with you a super healthy quinoa breakfast (quinoa oatmeal). What I love about this recipe is that it is way more healthier than oatmeal because it contains more protein, more fiber and a whole lot more of nutrients, plus it contains all of your essential amino acids so it gets you starting your day like a boss.
Healthy Vegan Quinoa Breakfast
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 5 oz coconut yogurt
- Stevia to taste
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of cacao power
- Granola to topping
- 1/8 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- On a small sauce pan heat the quinoa with the milk.
- Add the cinnamon and the cacao power, mix well till combined.
- Let ingredients to marry together by letting them cook for aroun then minutes then turn the heat of.
- Add the yogurt to make the quinoa nice and creamy.
- Serve on a plate and top with the granola, blueberries and pumpking seeds.