Have you heard about my challenge “Be Happier Challenge”? Well I have opened it twice and soon I am about to open again, but when I heard this new podcast episode about how you can be happy I had to share. So I been following Rene Amberg for a while now, she is a you-tuber and when she launched her podcast “The Wisdom Theory” I new I needed to subscribe because I love listening to podcasts while I work and her videos are pretty good and inspiring too.
She uploaded a episode about happiness called “4 Scientifically Proven Ways To Activate Happiness” and I new I needed to look out for more info about it and share it, because happiness is not only part of my brand but I also created a challenge called “Be Happier Challenge” and I new that this info was not only going to be great for everybody but also to add more about it on my challenge. Here I will share her important points on how to be happy but on a scientific way, ways that have been proven and are effective.
Our brain releases four chemicals, that are responsible for us feeling happy. Here we explain what these chemicals are, how to use them, their functions, deficiencies, cause of deficiencies and more.
It is a neural transmitter that is know as the chemical of reward or motivation molecule, it is responsible of our motivation. It is released during pleasurable situations, it makes you jump of joy when you reach a goal or get something new like makeup, cloths, toys, etc. Dopamine leads you to food when you need it. Dopamine causes expectations, correct predictions, brings good sensations, flows when you feel like you’ve done it and it seeks for rewards, it is the joy of finding what you seek.
- Felling of salience
- Lack of interest in life or situations
- Lack of motivation
- Inability to feel pleasure
- Feeling of burnout on life, goals, career.
- Drug abuse
- Diets high in sugar
- Diet high in saturated fats
- Diets low in protein
- Eat foods rich in tirosine, it is a amino acid that you can find in almonds, bananas, avocados, beans, legumes and soy.
- Get a good source of probiotics, they are the good bacteria in your gut. Your gut is know as your second brain and it is extremely linked to your brain, and it impacts your mood and behavior, this means that if you eat a poor diet your mood will be poor as well as your actions. You can get them in yogurt, kombuchaq or probiotics pills or supplements.
- Getting quality sleep, it keep dopamine balance and it is release most in the mornings and falls as night comes. Get enough sleep, but also good quality, there’s no point on going to bed early and wake up twenty times during night because of noise, phone notifications, unnecessarily calls, etc.
- Listen music, instrumental music boost your levels of dopamine by 9%.
- Take a new challenge, feelings of accomplishing something, like a challenge or a goal, completing a task boost dopamine.
- Focus on lifestyle choices instead of quick fixes.
Too Much Dopamine Signs
- Attention deficit disorder
- Difficulty paying attention
- Seek of instant gratification, like gambling, drugs, alcohol or food.
- Increase in adrenaline, nervous breakdown, aggression, over competition, etc.
This is a hormone known as the love hormone. Oxytocin is the safety of social bands, it builds social alliances. Oxytocin helps you to trust your mates, loves the bonds that you creates, flows when you stick with the herd. When you don’t have social bonds, your brain feels alarm. However the herd will annoy you. When you run with a pack, oxytocin will flow, makes you feel to trust someone and when someone trust you. Oxytocin stimulates dopamine and serotonin and it is released during sex, child bird, breastfeeding and lactation.
- Warm fusy feelings
- Lower anxiety
- Lower stress
- Reduction in drug cravings
- Improvement in social skills and social bonding
- Improve libido
- Poor comunication
- Low emphaty
- Lack of socialization
- Craving sugar
- Sleep difficulty
- Low libido
- Lack of trust
- Lack of human interactions
- Disorders like depression, autism, schizophrenia, anxiety dissorders
- Too much stress
- Too much cortisol levels, the more cortisol the lower levels of oxytoxin.
- Holding grudges
- Physical contact like hugs, hand holding, massage, cuddling, eye contact, shaking a hand. This interactions can be done with a human or even your pets.
- Close relationships with others
- Forgiveness, this one reduces cortisol.
Too Much Oxytoxin signs
- Increase walls between people, fear and mistrust
- Lower cooperation
- Suspicion and jelousy
- Too much trust
If you feel like you have a deficiency of this or too much you should consult your doctor, this is hormones and these are better to work with is a professional.
Its a neurotransmitter also know as the happy chemical, it is used in a lot of anti-depressants. It is the security of social dominance, get respect for others. Serotonin swells your chest with pride, when you get respect and needn’t to hide. When you have serotonin you are modest and don’t like to boast, you feel good when you boost your self higher, but if others do this, it provokes your ire. With serotonin you can be clever, helpful or funny, but when others one-up you, your mind agitates, because serotonin droops til you lift your own weights.
- Stabilized mood
- Feelings of pleasure
- Feelings of satisfaction
- Good sleep
- Feelings of happiness
- Bench eating
- Low self-eesteem
- Carb cravings
- Unhealthy gut, 95% of seratonin is created in the intestines, not the brain, this means that diet pays the main key on this hormone.
- Lack of sunshine
- Diet high on sugar
- High cortisol levels
- Vitamin D
- Happy thoughts
- Healthy carbs
- Foods high in triptophan like spinach and seeds.
- Be around friends
- Micros and soil, walk on grass or putting your feel in direct earth surface with no sucks or shoes.
Too Much Serotonin Signs
- Rapid heart rate
- Irregular heart beat
Increase or balance Serotonin
- Supplements such as bacopa, magnesium, vitamin D and omega 3.
It is a chemical produced by the central nervous system, and helps us to deal with physical pain. Endorphin compromises twenty feel good brain chemicals and it is a feel good chemical, happiness, etc. Endorphin is the oblivion that masks pain or ignore physical pain. It helps you to mask the pain or injuries that you sustain. Endorphin makes you feel like you’re safe. It triggers you to laugh or cry for an instant, it makes you feel great when it eases your pains and only real pain makes it flow in your veins.
- Feel lightheaded
- Decrease of stress
- Lack of exercise
Increase of Endorphin
- Go out and do something
- Fall in love
- Vitamin D
- Dark chocolate
- Spicy foods
- Moderate alcohol
- Dancing, studies had showed that country music releases endopine while heavy metal leads to anxiety.
- Do things that you like
- Eat things that you like
Too Much Endorphin
- You are on the edge
- You are on a fight or flight response constantly
Happiness comes from diets, exercise, connection to others, connection to our selves, being in tune with our bodies and our selves, connection to our mind, connection to our thoughts, the way we think. Happiness is essentially up to you, you choose either if you want to eat healthy, exercise, take things seriously, let things go, laugh or cry, I mean you are in complete control of it. It is an attitude and nothing to do with materials, it comes from within your body, from the inside. There are many other things you can do to be happy, again, happiness comes from within, and taking actions also come in hand here, you need to have the desire to live your best life, to go out and do what makes you happy.
Not sure what else to do? Here are some tips:
1. Work with your hands, this can be gardening, building something, cooking dinner, etc.
2. Practice “Taking in the good”, avoid focusing on negativity and receive the good that exists in your life.
3. Help others, be of service, help someone you know or a stranger. Lend a hand to someone close to you, even when you’re busy. Seeing a need, even a small one, and meeting it, will make you happier.
4. Stop caring about what others think, their opinions does not concern you, does not shape you or build your happiness.
5. Let Go of perfection, that does not exist.
6 Practice mindfulness, and the inner calm that goes with it.
7.Embrace life’s small pleasures, they count as much as the big ones.
8. Journal, keep track of your feelings, habits and write things your are grateful for.
9. Drink water, stay hydrated.
10. Limit your time on your electronic devices, specially social media, they are time consuming and give false perspectives of other peoples lives.
11. Baby steps matters, reading 5 pages of a book is better than nothing, working out 10 minutes is better than nothing, just get started.
12. Spend more time outside, get some fresh air, some sun light and walk barefoot.
13. Stop complaining, the more you focus on the bad, the worst you will feel about it
.14.Make time for the things that make you happy.
15.Tell people when they do something that you appreciate. Verbalizing your gratefulness not only improves your happiness, but theirs as well.
16.Find a community of other people, invest yourself in it.
17. Don’t fear failure, failure are amazing lessons that makes us grow and teaches us how to be better person.
18. Pay attention, stop, look, and listen to the everyday moments of your life.
19. Find a mantra, write it down and repeat loud, repeating a mantra is a way of meditation, and this positive meditation will make you happier and more resilient.
20. Get creative, don’t be afraid to try some art, music, singing, etc.